Thursday

My Dad's Tomato Bisque



i got this recipe from my dad. he did a bit of tweaking from another recipe he had and this is the result. it was delicious. we had it for dinner last night with fresh rolls. here's the recipe...

2 tablespoons butter
1 & 1/2 Medium Sweet Onions
4 Gloves Garlic Pressed
15 Ounce Can of Whole Tomatoes
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup White Rice Uncooked
3 Large Leaves Chopped Basil
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1 Cup Half and Half Milk and Cream (or all Cream or just milk)
15 Ounce Can of Tomato Sauce
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Several Dashes Tobasco Sauce
4 Heaping Teaspoons Sour Cream

1. Melt butter in sauce pan and saute onions and garlic soft and golden over a medium heat.

2. Pour in tomatoes, stock, rice, salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and partially cover for 30 minutes.

3. Pour the contents of the pan into a blender and puree, then put back into sauce pan.

4. Stir in Half and Half or Cream, sour cream and several dashes of tobasco sauce. Heat just to a boil, then turn off the heat and serve.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks delicious. Last night I served your oven barbecued salmon, your sweet onion bake and your roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese -- yummy! Thanks for all the recipes.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

I'm John and Kathy Hall's niece, Jeannie (Washington, DC) and LOVE your recipes. We got some snow and ice in DC yesterday, so I made a batch of the tomato bisque and it was delicious on a cold night! thanks so much!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oh my gosh - this looks so tasty! And the salmon - YUM!! Hahaha - us and our SALMON :)

Oh how I love you guys...

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Somer,

I love reading your recipes. I just wanted to tell you a couple of my favorites from Trattoria: pg 98 Penne with Zucchini and Spicy Pizza Sauce (I like to put fresh grated parmesan on it, though she doesn't recomment it), pg 136 Tagliatelli with Tricolored peppers and Basil--absolutely yummy. The recipe that put this cookbook on the map about 10 yrs ago is on pg 93 Penne w/Vodka and spicy tomato cream sauce--I haven't made it, but know someone who has.

Linda Swallow

2:09 AM  
Blogger Somer said...

Linda thanks for the recomendations. I'll have to give some of them a try. So far I've really liked everything I've made from Trattoria.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home