Wednesday

Lemon Muffins


this is the first recipe i have made out of my new cookbook, Muffins Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer. they were as the title describes, fast and fantastic.

225g (1 1/2 cups) flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
85-110 g (1/3-1/2 cup) sugar
1 egg
8 fl oz (1 cup) milk
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
3 fl oz (1/3 cup) vegetable oil

optional glaze:
85 g (1/3 cup) icing sugar
3-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingreadients and mix until just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake at 190-200 C or 375-400 F for 20-25 minutes. Spread immeadiatly with the glaze so that it melts over the hot muffins

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somer - Does this recipe make 12 muffins? I'd like to serve these next month when my Bible study breakfast group meets at my house.
Love,
Grandmother

2:22 AM  
Blogger Somer said...

Yes this recipe does make about 12 muffins.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somer, these were really good! Made them tonight to go with dinner (Braised Herb Chicken Thighs w/ Potatoes) and we all enjoyed them (even Peter...but ok, not Erika) Things I did different: I didn't have a lemon on hand, so substituted 1/4 tsp. lemon extract in the muffins, and omitted in the glaze. The muffin batter itself didn't taste lemony, were they supposed to? So the glaze really helped. My glaze didn't look like the pictures - it was clear. I used powdered sugar - maybe that is different from icing sugar? And a word of warning to Grandmother - they are messy with the glaze, but finger-licking good! Also, Somer, Jim would like to know if you weigh your ingredients instead of measure them as the solids are listed in grams which is a unit of inertia (or mass, or weight, for those of us not that geeky)
-Steph

11:52 PM  
Blogger Somer said...

Steph, I'm glad you guys liked the muffins. It is a high compliment if even Peter liked them. The muffin itself is not all that lemony, the flavor comes mostly from the icing. However the book I got it from recomends using a 1/2 teaspoon lemon exctrat if you leave off the icing. I didn't put that in my post. Also I think icing sugar and powdered sugar are the same thing, I think that's just what they call it here. I don't know why you're icing didn't look the same. Tell Jim that yes I do weigh my ingredients here. That's what people do. All the recipes are written in weights. It's more accurate. Only Americans and Canadians measure all their ingredients by volume. I bought a cheap scale at the grocery store here. It got to be too complicated trying to convert everything.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home